Tofu Egg Salad
Summer time! which means lots of days at the beach, hiking and picnics. This is why I love today’s recipe for eggless egg salad. Made with tofu, preparation is fast, and it can be made in advance. So I keep it accessible in the fridge for a fast but healthy lunch or to bring along for a meal on the go. I love eating it between two slices of rustic bread, with tons of veggies and sprouts or in a whole wheat pita.
I think tofu has a bad reputation for strange texture and taste. I love tofu and handled the right ways, it’s super taste and will absorb much flavoring. The secret is to make sure to drain all soaking liquid before cooking with it. Below I explain how to do that. Tofu is great meat substitute because it is high in protein, low in fat, and very low in saturated fat.
- 1 container fresh extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder or use 3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. diced celery
- 1 Tbsp. minced pickles
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. yellow curry powder
- Drain the tofu block by wrapping it up in a terry kitchen towel for at least 2 hours.
- Mash the tofu with the back of a fork until crumbled.
- Combine all the reminding ingredients in a bowl and blend well.
- Stir in the tofu and chill in fridge for at least one hour before serving.