Our favorite vegan snacks
Since school is now back in full swing, the kids seems to always be hungry and looking for snacks so I figured I would share what some of our favorite healthy, vegan and zero waste snacks are.
Crackers-My kids absolutely love crackers and especially if they come with hummus. I made hummus following Nora Cooks Recipe and I have a couple of cracker recipes that I made like my butter crackers , oat crackers and cheese crackers
Gluten free Banana muffins-These muffins are so comforting and filling with nut flour and bananas.
Chia Pudding in a Jar
First, make some chia seed pudding
- Using a pint sized mason jar, spread a layer of chia pudding on the bottom.
- Next, add a mixture of fresh or frozen berries, mango pieces, kiwi or sliced bananas.
- Add another layer of chia.
- Top with more fruit!
- If you want some more texture, add a handful of chopped nuts, cacao nibs, trail mix or granola!
Yogurt parfait—This creamy yogurt with berries and crunchy granola is one of my kids’ favorite snacks in jar: All you need is: Bag of frozen berries, Granola, Plain yogurt (I use my homemade cashew yogurt), maple syrup to drizzle over (optional)
Start by layering plain yogurt. Add a layer of thawed or fresh berries, and then a layer of
Homemade Larabars-I like larabars because they are few but healthy ingrediences amd luckily I have found a recipe make them myself to avoid plastic wrapping. Homemade Lara Bars—Recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie
- ½ cup unsalted cashews
- A scant 1 ¼ cup dates
- Small pinch salt
- Optional: some fresh vanilla bean or 1 Tbsp. carob powder
- Blend in your food processor until it’s a sticky dough.
- Form into any shapes. I personally like to make them look like Lara Bars — log-alike☺
What kid does not love ice cream? Of course ice cream is loaded with sugar so a better option is making nicecream which is just ice cream made from frozen bananas. Here is a great recipe by Detoxinista