fbpx

Sweden To Go Carbon Neutral by 2045

Date
Feb, 18, 2016

By Fredrica Syren:

Sweden, where I was born and where we currently reside, was established as one of the 10 greenest countries in 2015, according to Ecowatch.com. I can’t say I’m too surprised, considering I have never lived in another country that focuses on making recycling super easy and convenient, and making public transportation available to pretty much everyone. It makes me proud to be a green mom born and living here.

So I guess I should not have been as surprised as I was when I learned that Sweden’s government hasstockholm published a plan to go “carbon neutral” by 2045, building on a previous pledge to have no net emissions by 2050. The plan says the country could cut emissions by at least 85% from the 1990 levels at home and offset the remaining 15% by investing in projects to cut carbon emissions abroad. Carbon dioxide is the primary greenhouse gas emitted from planes, cars, factories, etc., and released into the atmosphere, causing global warming.

Sweden’s plan follows an earlier commitment to invest $546 million in climate related measures, which include support for a multitude of clean technologies. It is a true inspiration for other nations and will, in wake of last year’s Paris Agreement, show that more leading green economies will revisit their decarbonization plans and bring forward more ambitious proposals.

A more detailed report from the legislators is expected next month.

Already we have seen New Zealand and the UK phasing out coal. As well, we see more major cities and corporations committing to 100% renewable energy. These are small but major steps in the right direction. At least the commitment provides a clear sign these countries and leaders are leading the way in fighting climate change.

Fredrika Syren

Fredrika Syren is an environmental activist and writer. In 2016, she founded the website Green-Mom.com where she shared her family’s journey of living zero waste. She lives in San Diego, California with her husband James and their children Bella, Noah, and Liam. Fredrika and her family were recently featured in the documentary Zero Time to Waste. Fredrika is also the author of Zero Waste for Families - A Practical Guidebook (which you can buy on this site)

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts