Roasted vegetable soup
This weekend has been one of those amazing weekend where I’ve been super busy but had lots of fun, laughed a lot, cuddle a lot and ate well. God I love those weekend. I also spend Friday, Saturday and now Sunday nights watching a movie; Eat, Pray, Love ( I know it takes me a couple of tries to see one movie these days). I love that movie and my favorite part is when Liz, the main character, states that she is having a love affair with a pizza. Well in that case I want to state I have a love affair with food, all kinds of food and specially new foods.
I made a very colorful and flavorful soup for lunch today to brighten up the gray day we were having here in San Diego. I made it a little more spicy by adding harissa and we ate the soup together with a grilled cheese sandwich made on bread I baked yesterday.
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 tbs canola oil
5 sun-dried tomatoes, re-hydrated in warm water and then chopped
1 can fire roasted tomatoes ( I used my own homemade)
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tbs ketchup
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tbs chive and garlic flavored cream cheese
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp Harissa paste, optional ( I found mine at Crate & Barrel)
- Put oven to low broil.
- Place onion, red pepper and carrots on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and drizzle the oil over.
- Toss vegetables until all veggies are coated with oil.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft, not burned:)
- Combine, the roasted vegetables, with sun-dried tomatoes, canned roasted tomatoes, broth and ketchup in a pot and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Reduce to simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Place soup in a blender or food processor along with cream cheese and blend until creamy, not chunky.
- Return to pot and add milk, salt and pepper and reheat soup.
- If the soup seems to thick, just add a little more broth to desired consistency
- Add harissa if wanting to but if you are serving it to kids, remove their portion first.
I absolutely loves soups so if you’re looking for more soup inspirations and recipes check out my cream of mushroom soup recipe here
Or my pumpkin coconut soup recipe here