Because I’m on bed rest due to pre-labor, hubby has been my sous chef and we cook together. It means I’m in charge or all prep work and does that actually cooking with my supervision. He’s really getting into it and I was so surprised when he even came with a recipe he wanted to try. It’s a lentil soup recipe from our friend Laura Plumb’s food blog Food: A love story. The soup was very hearty and both kids really liked it. She calls it a detox soup but I think it’s just a amazing soup I can eat all the time.
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 scant tsp. Garam Masala
- I large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, top and end cut of and chopped
- 1 cup kale, stalks removed and chopped
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
Melt coconut oil over medium heat. Sprinkle in spices and sauté one minute. Add onion and cook a few minutes until it softens. Stir in lentils until thoroughly coated. Add carrot, celery, and kale and cook a moment. Turn heat to high and add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low.
Cook 20-25 minutes.