We’re having some rainy and gray days here in San Diego. Given the quarantine we’re stuck inside so crafts is the perfect way to entertain the kids. Today we did some Easter crafts because the kids had asked for it since Easter is on Sunday. It’s so funny how being in quarantine makes you almost forget what day it is or if any special holidays are coming up.
The crafts we made were egg dye from natural homemade dyes and a paper egg weaving project. Both of these can be done with things you have at home so they are great for covid-19 homeschooling and being in quarantine.
Here is our YouTube video making these two crafts:
Texture Paper Egg
For this project you need:
- A pair of scissors
- 2 sheets of paper
- A couple pieces of scrap paper cut into thin strips
- Cut old colored art paper, old magazine pages or just colored papers into thin strips.
- Draw or print a large egg or any other Easter themed thing, maybe a chick or bunny.
- Carefully cut out the drawing leaving an outlined hole in the paper.
- Line up the paper with the cut out on top on the other sheet.
- Trace a pencil inside the hole.
- Now you have a drawing on the bottom sheet.
- Begin gluing the strips all over the drawing, making sure to cover it completely.
- Here you can create fun textures and your own patterns with the different colors and printed strips.
- Once done, place the cutout sheet over and glue it on.
- Trim the side of any strips sticking out.
We make our own egg dye from natural ingredients we have around the house. The fun part is that, when using these kinds of ingredients, you never know what kind of colors the end result will be. So you have to be more open as well as patient because natural egg dyes take a bit longer to dry, sometimes overnight.
- Yellow onion skins = Yellow to dark orange
- Turmeric or cumin = Bright yellow
- Spirulina = Bright Green
- Red beets = Pink to red
- Red onion skins = Pale purple to red
- Red cabbage = Blue (strange, but true)
- Spinach = Green
- Purple grape juice (use as is) = Lavender
- Coffee (use as is) = Tan to brown
- Chili powder = Orange
- Raspberries or blackberries = Pink to purple
- Yellow or green apple peels = Yellow-green
- Beet Juice or powder=Pink to purple
Boil 2 cups of water with 2 Tbsp distilled vinegar and 2 Tbsp of an ingredient from the above list. Reduce to a simmer until water is the color of your choice. Cool water before using. Add hard-boiled eggs to the dye and let them soak until desired color is reached. Remove and dry on a kitchen towel once you have the desired color.